33. Di Santo V 2024 Schooling in Fishes. In: Fish Physiology, Muscles and Movement (EM Standen and D Fudge, eds.). New York: Academic Press (in press)
32. Guo J, Han P, Zhang W, Wang J, Lauder GV, Di Santo V, Dong H 2023 Vortex dynamics and fin-fin interactions resulting in performance enhancement in fish-like propulsion. Physical Review Fluids, 8 (7), 073101.
31. Berio F, Morerod C, Qi X, Di Santo V 2023 Ontogenetic plasticity in shoaling behavior in a forage fish under warming. Integrative and Comparative Biology, icad043: doi.org/10.1093/icb/icad043.
30. Zhang W, Pan Y, Wang J, Di Santo V, Lauder GV, Dong H 2023 An efficient tree-topological local mesh refinement on Cartesian grids for multiple moving objects in incompressible flow. Journal of Computational Physics, 479: 111983.
29. Di Santo V 2022 EcoPhysioMechanics: Integrating energetics and biomechanics to understand fish locomotion under climate change. Integrative and Comparative Biology, 62: 711–720.
28. Akanyeti O, Di Santo V, Goerig E, Wainwright DK, Liao JC, Castro-Santos T, Lauder GV 2022 Fish-inspired segment models for undulatory steady swimming. Bioinspiration & Biomimetics, 17: 046007.
27. Lauer J, Zhou M, Ye S, Menegas W, Schneider S, Nath T, Mostafizur Rahman M, Di Santo V, Soberanes D, Feng G, Murthy VN, Lauder GV, Dulac C, Mathis MW, Mathis A 2022 Multi-animal pose estimation, identification, and tracking with DeepLabCut. Nature Methods, 19: 496–504.
26. Vilmar M, Di Santo V 2022 Swimming performance of sharks and rays under climate change. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries, 32: 765–781.
25. Di Santo V, Goerig E, Wainwright DK, Akanyeti O, Liao JC, Castro-Santos T, Lauder GV 2021 Convergence of undulatory swimming kinematics across a diversity of fishes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA, 118 (49): e2113206118.
24. Papastamatiou YP, Iosilevskii G, Di Santo V, Huveneers C, Hattab T, Ballesta L, Mourier J 2021 Sharks surf the slope: current updrafts reduce energy expenditure for aggregating sharks. Journal of Animal Ecology, 90: 2302–2314. (COVER)
23. Di Santo V, O'Boyle LA, Saylor RK, Dabruzzi TF, Covell MA, Kaack K, Scharer R, Seger K, Favazza N, Pomory CM, Bennett WA 2020 Coral loss alters guarding and farming behavior of a Caribbean damselfish. Marine Biology, 167, 120: 1–9.
22. Zhu J, White C, Wainwright DW, Di Santo V, Lauder GV, Bart-Smith H 2019 Tuna robotics: a high-frequency experimental platform exploring the performance space of swimming fishes. Science Robotics, 4, eaax4615.
21. O'Connell KA, Di Santo V, Maldonado J, Molina E, Fujita MK 2019 A tale of two skates: Comparative phylogeography of North American skate species with implications for conservation. Copeia, 107, 297–304.
20. Di Santo V 2019 Ocean acidification and warming affect skeletal mineralization in a marine fish. Proceedings of the Royal Society B, 286, 20182187.
19. Zhu R, Wang J, Dong H, Quinn D, Bart-Smith H, Di Santo V, Wainwright D, Lauder G 2019 Computational study of fish-shaped panel with simultaneously heaving and bending motion. AIAA Scitech 2019 Forum. San Diego, California.
18. Di Santo V, Jordan HL, Cooper B, Currie RJ, Beitinger TL, Bennett WA 2018 Thermal tolerance of the invasive red-bellied pacu and the risk of establishment in the United States. Journal of Thermal Biology, 74, 110–115.
17. Wen L, Ren Z, Di Santo V, Kainan H, Tao Y, Wang T, Lauder GV 2018 Understanding fish linear acceleration using an undulatory bio-robotic model with soft fluidic elastomer actuated morphing median fins. Soft Robotics, doi: 10.1089/soro.2017.0085.
16. Di Santo V, Kenaley CP, Lauder GV 2017 High postural costs and anaerobic metabolism during swimming support the hypothesis of a U-shaped metabolism-speed curve in fishes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA, 114, 13048–13053.
15. Saadat M, Fish FE, Domel A, Di Santo V, Lauder GV, Haj-Hariri H 2017 On the rules for aquatic locomotion. Physical Review Fluids, 2, 083102.
14. Di Santo V, Blevins EL, Lauder GV 2017 Batoid locomotion: effects of speed on pectoral fin deformation in the little skate Leucoraja erinacea. Journal of Experimental Biology, 220, 705–712.
13. Di Santo V, Lobel PS 2017 Body size and thermal tolerance in tropical gobies. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology, 487, 11–17.
12. Park SJ, Gazzola M, Park C, Park S, Di Santo V, Blevins EL, Lind JU, Campbell P, Dauth S, Capulli A, Cho A, Yuan H, Pasqualini FS, Ahn S, Maoz B, Nesmith AP, Vijaykumar R, Choi J-W, Deisseroth K, Lauder GV, Mahadevan L, Parker KK 2016 Phototactic guidance of a tissue-engineered soft-robotic ray. Science, 353: 158–162. (COVER)
11. Di Santo V 2016 Intraspecific variation in physiological performance of a benthic elasmobranch challenged by ocean acidification and warming. Journal of Experimental Biology, 219: 1725–1733.
10. Di Santo V, Kenaley CP 2016 Skating by: Low energetic costs of swimming in a batoid fish. Journal of Experimental Biology, 219: 1804–1807.
9. Di Santo V, Lobel PS 2016 Size affects digestive responses to increasing temperature in fishes: physiological implications of being small under climate change. Marine Ecology, 37: 813–820.
8. Di Santo V, Tran AH, Svendsen JC 2016 Progressive hypoxia decouples activity and aerobic performance of skate embryos. Conservation Physiology, cov067.
7. Lauder GV, Di Santo V 2015 Swimming mechanics and energetics of elasmobranch fishes. In Fish Physiology Vol. 34A, Physiology of Elasmobranch Fishes: Structure and Interaction with Environment. (RE Shadwick, AP Farrell and CJ Brauner, eds.), pp. 219–253. New York: Academic Press.
6. Di Santo V 2015 Ocean acidification exacerbates the impacts of global warming on embryonic little skate, Leucoraja erinacea (Mitchill). Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology, 463: 72–78.
5. Rossi F, Gribsholt B, Gazeau F, Di Santo V, Middelburg JJ 2013 Benthic complex effects of ecosystem engineer loss on ecosystem response to detrital macroalgae. PLoS ONE, 8: e66650.
4. Di Santo V, Bennett WA 2011 Effect of rapid temperature change on resting routine metabolic rates of two benthic elasmobranchs. Fish Physiology and Biochemistry, 37: 929–934.
3. Di Santo V, Bennett WA 2011 Is post-feeding thermotaxis advantageous in elasmobranch fishes? Journal of Fish Biology, 78: 195–207.
2. Wells DL, El-Sheikh EM, Sutton MA, Di Santo V, Bennett WA 2009 Automated image processing of X-radiographics of digestion in stingrays. IC-Artificial Intelligence, 2: 715–719.
1. Di Santo V, Pomory CM, Bennett WA 2009 Algal garden cultivation and guarding behavior of dusky damselfish on coral rubble and intact reef in Dry Tortugas National Park. Proceedings of the American Academy of Underwater Sciences, 2009: 222–228.
Ishida MY, Berio F, Di Santo V, Shubin NH, Iida F Palaeo-inspired robotics as an experimental approach to the history of life: Explaining water-land locomotor transition in evolution.